This site is dedicated to supporting the village of East Budleigh.
An independent publication free from sponsorship or paid advertising.
The Birthplace of Sir Walter Raleigh
The Church of All Saints is very ancient, probably dating back from early Saxon times. In 1859 one of the principal walls was demolished and pieces of worked Saxon stone were found embedded in the structure, leading to the conclusion that a church stood on the site before the coming of William the Conqueror. The charter rolls from the 12th century show that the Polso nuns lived in a nearby priory and cared for the church over three centuries. Then the church was small, comprising a low tower, nave and chancel. Bishop Lacey began to enlarge the church in 1420, adding the two upper stages of the tower and the north and south aisles. The fine wagon roof and the great west window were probably built at the
same time. The nuns were expelled by Henry VIII during the years 1539 to 1540 and possession of the manor and church soon passed into the hands of the Duke family. The living was within the gift of the family for the next two hundred years until 1795 when Sir Henry Rolle purchased the estates. Since those times the manor has descended down the family to the present Lord Clinton, Gerard Fane Trefusis who is the current patron of the church. The present serenity of All Saints belies its turbulent past. It undoubtedly played a part in the "Great Rebellion in the West", resulting in a battle waged on nearby Woodbury Common in August 1549. During the Commonwealth period, Cromwell's men wreaked destruction on the church, fortunately with no lasting damage to the fabric. In a lighter vein, the locals used to hold riotous games and a fair every Sunday on what is now the northern burial ground; until the disapproving village elders insisted that it be held there on Mondays instead. Undoubtedly the Church's most famous parishioner was Sir Walter Raleigh, who was born in nearby Hayes Barton and attended the church as a boy.
For hundreds of years there has been a tradition of throwing buns from the tower to the children of the Parish. Here we have a retired Vicar and Choirmaster carrying out this tradition. The local Drakes school now provides the children and they certainly enjoy the outing.
An ancient chalice, believed to be in use at the time of Raleigh.
The magnificent knave of All Saints, with the carved pew ends visible along the central aisle.
The corbel mounted on the South face of the porch is believed to represent Bishop Lacy, the 13th Century Bishop of Exeter.
The ancient art of bell ringing is still practiced in the village. They are deeply concentrating on this complicated procedure and really did not notice the photographer.
This Bible dates from 1634 and was printed using the “black” method. Hand printed giving a high quality very dark quality to the typeface.
|Little Otters Mardi Gras|
|Little Otters - Queen's Visit|
|Otter Flooding Scheme|
|Bicton Garden Party|
|Best Kept Village|
|Tour of Britain|
|Syon House Hotel|
|Card Shop Too|
|A La Ronde|
|Burrow Farm Gardens|